Writing good quality blog posts that your target audience will find valuable (hopefully!) is the most important component of a good blog. However even the best content in the world won't get read unless we're pro-active about spreading the word and finding the people who will find it useful.
Of course I can't pretend I do all of these things for every blog post I write, life is way to short! However if you are focusing on growing your blog readership here are a few ideas that you could try.
10 ways to get more traffic to your blog:
1. Be active on social media and post links to each blog post a couple of times on the day is posted (to best suit your audience), maybe once the day after, a week after and maybe a month or two later
2. If you have a mailing list send them a weekly / monthly email pointing them to your new blog posts
3. Pin your blog post images to Pinterest and to any relevant group boards that you are part of
4. Submit your article to relevant sharing sites such as Stumbleupon, Foodgawker, Craftgawker (depending on what the subject is!)
5. Spend time being helpful and building relationships with your target audience in appropriate Facebook groups. They will often have a weekly post where you can link up your latest blog posts
6. Build relationships on Twitter by sharing good content from others and reaching out to other bloggers, they'll be much more likely to do the same for you if you are giving and help them first!
7. Comment on other blogs that your target audience are reading. Leave thoughtful comments which add to the conversation and link back to your blog in a non-promotional way.
8. SEO your blog posts up as much as you can whilst keeping them genuine! Add relevant and specific keywords / phrases that your audience maybe searching for on Google to your blog post titles, copy (if it fits naturally!) and in any SEO plugins you may have installed on your website
9. Experiment with advertising or 'boosting' your blog post links on your Facebook page. Invest a small amount just to get your blog post links seen by your existing page fans first then play around with showing your content to other groups of people to see if it's effective for you.
10. Guest post on other influential blogs in your industry and rather than just linking back to your website, offer them a freebie (like a checklist they can download) if they join your mailing list to offer even more value on the topic you just blogged about. Then do number 2!
Do you have any good tips to add to this list? Which ones are you going to try?